Wednesday 26 November 2008

Bush Visit Descends into Violence

I was at this demonstration and I witnessed the Police brutality first hand and have pictures and video to prove it. Thankfully I wasn't attacked, but I didn't feel safe. I saw people get jumped upon and rugby tackled and flipped up into the air with the force of impact by riot police who used photograph identification to pick out those who screamed and shouted their frustration when being hit by metal batons near the front of the barriers. Where I was standing with some journalists a line of riot police stood on the other side of the barrier and raised their batons ready for the order to attack us. It was very frightening indeed.

Here's a link to a conference about that event by Stop The War Coalition...

Press conference: demonstrators at Bush visit speak of violence and arrests

I just can't believe how bad this government has got. I remember the days when protesters were allowed to voice their grievances. I used to go on demos with my Mum and sisters as kids. We would travel the country to attend marches and by night we would be allowed to sleep on bare floors inside various buildings in our sleeping bags by the owners. It was an adventure. I remember once when a huge group of feminists including my Mum and us had a clash with police outside Margaret Thatcher's London residence. The tv cameras were there, and we had our pictures taken with banners hung around our necks. The police in those days allowed us to do that peacefully. My Mum was also friends of Celia Stubbs who was the girlfriend of Blair Peach. And she also took part in several tv documentaries about Womens rights too. A pity things have changed since then with the government. And to think I helped by voting them into office. Well never again! Typical that not much of this Bush demo was televised at the time which can only mean one thing. Dictatoral censorship. They are no better than the terrorists they point their fingers at. Far more dangerous than just hypocrites. God forbid we ever get on their wrong side again!

And in the famous words of William Wallace...

"There's a difference between us. You
think the people of this country exist to
provide you with position. I think your
position exists to provide those people
with freedom. And I go to make sure that
they have it."

No comments: