Wednesday 11 February 2009

Samuel West talks about Civil Liberty

© all images and transcript taken from the guardian.co.uk video


"The erosion of civil liberties, is something that happens very gradually and very invisibly. And it's extraordinary how under a blanket of fear, these small slivers have been taken off things we fought for, for centuries without really there being a consensus about how best to fight them."



"I find it extraordinary that we could contemplate putting our DNA on a database, on mass in order that our children should inherit the possibility of being tracked down. As that's happened to my own family. Members of my family, who had members of their family interviewed because their DNA happened to be on a database."



"And you just think, that is totally random. And totally unacceptable. Being an actor means pretending to be someone else. And if you do that well, then it becomes impossible to be racist or sexist, or any of the other things that one hopes not to be because one spends ones time imagining what it's like for the other person."



"I feel very privileged in my job. To be habitually required to do that empathising. And perhaps that makes it easier for me to support this campaign."


More info here...
The Convention on Modern Liberty

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Just letting you know I've linked to your post from here. nice screencaps btw.

m4sure said...

Thanx I'm glad you liked them. ;)