Saturday 22 November 2008

Family Reunion Review November 2008


Sam West as Harry Monchesney

Last night I went along to see Sam's new play 'Family Reunion' at the Donmar Warehouse here in London. From the moment I saw the stage layout I knew this was going to be some show. The set looked very eerie like a scene out of the movie 'The Others' with the sound of birdlike noises enimating from above the stage. The atmosphere made one feel like they were being transported inside someone elses dream, and the constant ticking of the clock in various scenes reinforced that feeling. The characters did a superb job, but most of all I thought Sam's character Harry was the best (and I'm not just being biased here) The story of Harry was a very interesting one. A person haunted by phantoms of the past. A troubled soul trying to make sense of things seen and unseen. I really loved the intensity of Sam's performance as well as his costumes...and the hair! This play 'Family Reunion' has a fantastic story. It's the 1st time I had seen anything by TS Eliot and I wasn't disappointed. I do have tickets to see this show again, and I am very much looking forward to it. I highly recommend this play to anyone who is thinking of going. It really is that spectacular. Well done to Sam...I hope this brings him much success.

No comments: