Wednesday 12 November 2008

Waste Review and Q&A event 2008


The Almeida theatre poster of Waste

The play...

After a longish absence, I was pleased to learn that Sam West was to be directing another play in London. This time it was to be called Waste. A revival of the Harley Granville Barker play which was originally written in 1907 but then banned and wasn't performed on the London stage until 1936. It was about a Political sex scandal and the church. A good mixture for one of Sam's shows. I went to see it with an open mind not knowing what to expect. It was a very heavy play that made concentration difficult. So many words crammed into every sentence. I thought the story to be quite a tragic one, and I felt for the character Amy O'Connell. I also wanted to secretly wring Henry Trebell's neck...until that is he got all suicidal at the end and topped himself. I felt sorry for him then. The set design was very impressive and stunning to look at, and the costumes were intriguing.

The Q&A...

The evening of the Q&A was very ominous. On my way to the theatre I was soaked right through after forgetting my umbrella at home. *doh* There were thunder and lightening flashes in the sky which at some point turned into snow! I was glad to get inside the place where I met up with an old friend who I last saw in Sheffield. I felt chilled to the bone because the theatre wasn't very warm at all. I sat through another performance of Waste shivering. At the very end for some reason the staff forgot to remind the audience about the Q&A and at one point there were only a small amount of people left in their seats! I was half expecting to be turfed out of the building as well. But thankfully all was not lost. A woman (whoever she was) told us to sit back down etc etc. A few more people came back inside and soon the cast were joined by Sam onstage. The seats were in a long line and positioned to face the audience. I cannot recall everything that was said during the Q&A because by that point I had symptoms of hypothermia. (I hate the cold) The evening was very good despite that Minor hiccup, and lots of questions were asked. When it was finished I was surprised to see how late it was and I reluctantly ventured out into the slushy snow outside, where I bid farewell to my friend. I then managed to get myself to a bus stop in Essex Rd without falling flat on my face. My only regret was not being brave enough to ask any questions like...CAN SOMEONE TURN THE BLOODY HEATING ON NOW PLEASE! I did have other questions too...honest!

No comments: